ABL Indira Projects JV, the Indian company that won the massive Maldives Police Service infrastructure development project, stated that around 600 Indians will be brought in for the project.
On July 17, Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed and ABL Indira Projects JV Chairman Bhupesh Nagarajan signed a deal to build 61 police facilities and buildings throughout the country.
According to the company’s chairman, around 500 laborers and 100 engineers will be brought in from Tamil Nadu, India, for the project.
He noted that the company’s ability to secure such a large assignment during the COVID-19 pandemic is a tremendous accomplishment. He also stated that when it comes to hiring workers for the project, people who have worked in the Middle East and lost their jobs as a result of the pandemic will be given preference.
This two-year project includes the construction of a custodial facility as well as the expansion of two existing buildings in K. Dhoonidhoo. The project will also include 23 police stations, 21 police posts, eight atoll police stations, a police station in Male’, and a police station and four accommodation buildings in Hulhumale’ Phase II.
The project is estimated to cost MVR 740 million, with a loan from India’s EXIM Bank covering 85% of the cost and the Maldives government funding the remaining 15%.
According to police, the project will result in the development of police stations throughout the Maldives, as well as the supply of essential services to the people in a decentralized manner. It will also enable for the construction of infrastructure that meets international detention standards as well as basic police facility requirements, police said.