The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has restricted traveling from Male’ to the islands of the Maldives unless it is for an emergency or essential purpose.
HPA announced last night that to curb the spread of COVID-19 in Maldives, they have decided to impose stricter restrictions for people traveling from Male’ to the atolls, unless it is for an emergency or essential purpose from June 06th.
HPA published a list of travel reasons which can be deemed as emergency or essential;
- Returning back to their respective atoll after receiving medical care at Male’ city or to accompany such an individual.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as surviving in the capital city due to financial constraints.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as they are not able to further live in Male’ city.
- Returning back to their respective atoll for important family reasons such as nearing the due date of a pregnant wife or to take care of sick parents.
- Returning back to their respective atoll as the individuals who are residing in Male’ for educational purposes have completed their education.
HPA has advised individuals who wish to travel for emergency purposes listed above, to request for a permit through the Health Portal and will be required to upload relevant document from the island council as well.
All individuals will be mandated to a 14 day quarantine period once they arrive at the island and will only be released after a negative COVID-19 PCR test is presented.