Maldives Customs Service has revealed goods worth MVR 40 billion were imported to the Maldives last year which is an increase of 40%.
The Annual Statistical Review of Customs shows that imports in 2020 stood at MVR 28 billion. This figure increased to MVR 40 billion last year which is a 40% increase. The decrease in imports of goods in the Maldives in 2020 was in response to the measures taken with COVID-19.
As per statistics, goods were imported from 131 countries last year. The statistics show that two-thirds of the imports were from Oman, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), China, and India. In terms of imports from individual industries, 74% of the imports last year were from private companies and the remaining 26% were imported by government and state-owned companies.
As per Customs, 71% of the goods imported were cleared at the Male’ Commercial Harbour. Additionally, the regional ports in Kulhudhuffushi and Hanimaadhoo in Haa Dhaalu Atoll and Gan and Hithadhoo in Addu City cleared 2.32% of the cargo.