The Maldives Police Service has signed a USD 48 million agreement with India’s ABL Indira Projects JV to carry out a number of projects to improve police infrastructure.
On Saturday, Commissioner of Police Mohamed Hameed and ABL Indira Projects JV Chairman Bhupesh Nagarajan signed a deal to build 61 police facilities and buildings.
This two-year project includes the construction of a custodial facility as well as the expansion of two existing buildings in K. Dhoonidhoo. The project will also include 23 atoll police stations, 21 police posts, eight atoll police stations, a police station in Male’, and a police station and four accommodation buildings in Hulhumale’ Phase II.
According to police, the project will result in the development of police stations throughout the Maldives, as well as the supply of contemporary and democratic services to the people in a decentralised manner. It will also enable for the construction of infrastructure that meets international detention standards as well as basic police facility requirements.
Police stated that 85% of the project’s cost would be covered by a loan between the Maldivian government and India’s EXIM Bank, with the remaining 15% financed by the Maldivian government.
The project is being carried out using the single-source procurement method. According to police, their cost research suggests that the project will be less expensive than previous infrastructure development projects funded by the Public Service Investment Program (PSIP).