The People’s Majlis has approved a bill submitted by the government to replace the airport tax levied on tourists with a departure tax, which would go into effect next year.
MP Mohamed Rasheed introduced the proposal to parliament in February of last year. The bill originally proposed eliminating airport tax after March 31, 2020 and instituting a departure tax on April 1 of that year. However, the Committee on Economic Affairs opted to execute the amendments in 2022, which was then accepted by the Whole House Committee on June 29.
Currently, a USD 12 airport service tax is levied on Maldivian travelers, while a USD 25 fee is levied on foreign passengers.
The bill was approved by 42 MPs and will go into effect on January 1, 2022.
Proposed departure tax rates:
- USD 12 for Maldivians travelling in Economy Class
- USD 30 for foreigners travelling in Economy Class
- USD 60 for all passengers travelling in Business Class
- USD 90 for all passengers travelling in First Class
- USD 120 for all passengers travelling in private jets