Minister of Finance Ibrahim Ameer’s request for a one year extension to the period of suspension for some clauses of the Fiscal Responsibility Act which was rejected by the Parliament yesterday, is now being considered for further review by a special parliamentary committee.
During today’s Parliament sitting, Speaker Mohamed Nasheed said Minister Ameer has requested “a cure for the problem” and the request will be reviewed again.
Parliament today voted to review the request by a special parliamentary committee which includes nine MPs from all parties. MP Ali Azim submitted the final list of members and it was passed with the majority of 48 votes.
The members on the special committee are;
- North Hithadhoo Constituency MP Mohamed Aslam
- Hulhudhoo Constituency MP Ilyas Labeeb
- Dhaandhoo Constituency MP Yaugoob Abdullah
- South Henveiru Constituency MP Hussain Shaheem
- Thulusdhoo Constituency MP Ibrahim Naseem
- Meedhoo Constituency MP Ahmed Siyam Mohamed
- Maamigili Constituency MP Gasim Ibrahim
- Maavashu Constituency MP Mohamed Saeed
- Alifushi Constituency MP Mohamed Rasheed Hussain
Maldives extended the overdraw limit to MVR 4.4 billion at the perusal of Finance Minister Ibrahim Ameer last year, along with a one-year suspension for the repayment clause, which will end on 26 April 2021.